Monday, 6 January 2014

HIGHLIGHTS: Day 1, The London Collections

Backstage @ Lou Dalton. C/O Joe Ridout

Ah, January! A month of post-Christmas depression, attempted diets, shitty weather and deadlines. However, there is one reason to smile, London Collections: Menswear. A three-day schedule of new season shows! Of course, there is always a crammed schedule and little media attention (Cheers, womenswear) but it’s a period I eagerly look forward to with the approach of the new year.

TOPMAN DESIGN
Day 1 was a good start to the run, with an eclectic mix of designers and events. I loved the whole dark, dank, washed out aspect to the Topman Design show. Despite being impressed with little of the collection, I thought the rainsoaked models and oil slick catwalk mirrored the designs brilliantly. Very apt to the terrible weather we’re having in the UK at the moment! The hidden treasures of the show were definitely the leather and neopreme-esque duffle coat and the wonderful slightly oversized black suit. I was interested to see dramatic PVC outerwear and a vibrant red added to the mixture of unusal proportians as well. Oh, and any man who has the balls to pull off those PVC skinnies gets top marks in my books.
Screen Shot 2014-01-06 at 20.29.12
tumblr_myzmjoqKAU1qds0eto1_500

HARDY AMIES
As usual, Hardy Amies was lovely. The brand seem to completley embody the whole ‘man about town’ vibe with such precision. They also showed us that, clearly, checks aren’t going anywhere for the time being! I think the highlight for me was this outfit (and the VERY attractive model, ahem). The earthy tones in the accessories and jacket, paired with the cool grey was a great match. I also applaud Mehmet Ali for enlightening me on the new rules of the polo neck; who knew that they looked so good with a blazer?!

And lastly, The Masculine Feminine asks you: Is David Gandy possibly one of the best dressed men of all time? The only thing I look forward to regarding GQ's documentation of the fash pack parties is staring longingly at the man. After looking at the pictures from the opening Dolce & Gabbana party last night, I have come to the conclusion that I don't think I've ever seen him wearing something bad. Ever.  I think we all have to face the truth; the man is a fucking God when it comes to dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay golden, Ponyboy

masculine/feminine. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.